A Heart-Healthy Salad Recipe
- ½ lb. dried white beans, washed and soaked overnight, or 3 cups canned beans
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium red or Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow or red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp. dried mustard
- 1 Tbsp. flax or olive oil
- Lemon juice to taste
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
Drain the beans and place in a pot with the water, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 ½ hours, or until tender. Drain and reserve ¼ cup of the cooking liquid. Mix together the Vidalia onion, red or yellow pepper, minced garlic, mustard, oil, lemon juice, and vinegar together with the reserved cooking liquid. Add to the warm beans and toss with parsley.
Makes 3-4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 270, Fat 4.5 g, Sodium 30 mg, Carbs 45 g, Fiber 16 g, Protein 14 g