Watermelon Does Everything Right for Your Health
Feasting on in-season fruits and vegetables is always heart-smart. The more fresh produce you can find that's organically grown the better. I thought I knew all there was to know about the perks of various varieties of fruit, but this summer I learned of a refreshing summertime drink—called Watermelon Delight—that’s rich in all the right stuff with a fruit I had underestimated: watermelon.
Watermelon is abundant in:
- Carotenoids lycopene and beta carotene that neutralize free radicals to prevent heart disease, cancer, and other diseases. Research shows that lycopene decreases the risk for cancer of the breast, prostate, endometrium, lung and colon; and other diseases.
- Vitamins A and C which bolster your immune system. Watermelon provides 24.3% of the daily value for Vitamin C.
- Vitamin K that helps control blood pressure, regulate heart beat, and possibly prevent strokes.
- B vitamins: B1 and B6, important for energy production.
- Magnesium: which works to lower blood pressure, assuage arrhythmia, and so much more.
- Potassium: a cardinal mineral for the cardiovascular system.
Watermelon does everything right for your health. Plus, it quenches inflammation while it quenches your thirst. Inflammation is an underlying culprit in heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer, arthritis, and asthma.
Here’s how to make Watermelon Delight: Fill up a blender with chunks of chilled watermelon. Add water (either filtered, bottle, or fresh spring) until the container is about 2/3 full. Add the juice of a fresh lemon. Blend to the thickness and consistency you prefer: for results think enough for a sunny sorbet you can freeze for later, use less water. For a little variety—and extra antioxidants—toss in fresh strawberries, raspberries and/or ripe fresh mango.
The only downside with watermelon is that it’s high glycemic index. So, if you have diabetes you want to balance it out with a chaser of nuts for fat and protein. All fully ripened fruit is rich in antioxidant content, so enjoy the end of Farm Stand season.
You May Also Be Interested In:
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health
Refuel your cellular engines for efficient heart function
Strength, energy, endurance--get the targeted nutrient support a man needs most
Stay youthful, healthy, vibrant and balanced with nutrient support designed to meet a woman's needs