The other day, a friend went on and on about why she likes to bike ride--she then went on to tell me why I should bike for exercise, instead of walking. While I do like to ride a bike on occasion, my real passion is walking. So, I thought I would make a list of the top 10 reasons I like to walk. I'll do it David Letterman style, starting with number 10...
10. It's a nearly free activity--all you need is a good pair of shoes. When you break the "shoe leather" down by the number of times you walk, it's less than a penny a day!
9. You can do it anywhere. You don't need to drive to a gym or bring fancy equipment along...all you need to do is open your door and go.
8. It's an activity you can any day of the week, even when you're on vacation.
7. You can walk by yourself, or with a friend. You can even bring your pet along.
6. You can always walk, even in the rain--in fact sometimes it's cooler that way. You can't do that on a tennis court or golf course.
5. It's a great way to socialize. One of the things I love about walking through my neighborhood is that I see all of my neighbors. When I'm starting out on my walk, I just wave...but when I'm walking back and cooling down, I often stop to chat.
4. It's the best stress-reliever you can find. No matter how hard or frustrating my day was, it can always be relieved by a brisk walk.
3. It's good for your entire body--walking helps to increase your level of protective HDL cholesterol, exercises your heart, builds stronger muscles, increases your bone density, and more!
2. It increases your metabolism, so you burn more calories even at rest!
1. Now for my number one reason....I love it!
Now it's your turn:
1. Why do you love to walk?
2. If you walked this week, please share your days, miles, or minutes walked.
Have a wonderful Saturday--and keep on walking!
Remember to consult your doctor before beginning a new exercise program.