As many of you know, I firmly believe that the only people who should be taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs—such as Zocor, Lipitor or the many others—are middle aged men with coronary artery disease. For everyone else, statins may actually be raising the incidence of heart failure because they deplete the body of CoQ10, a biochemical that’s critical to heart health.
But that said, many doctors prescribe statins every day, and many people suffer their unwanted side-effects—including muscle pain and weakness, generalized soreness, memory loss and peripheral neuropathy.
How to Turn Back the Side Effects of Statins
1. Consider getting off your statin medication, unless you’re a middle-aged man with heart disease. But remember to always contact your physician before stopping your statin drugs.
2. Rebuild your muscles and your heart with four nutrients I call them the “awesome foursome.” You want to take the following:
- 200 mg of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) daily
- 200-600 mg of magnesium daily
- 2-3 grams of broad spectrum carnitine daily
- 5 grams of D-Ribose two to three times a day
Get more of Dr. Sinatra's advice on CoQ10
3. If you’re suffering from polyneuropathy, which is nerve damage that affects the feet and hands causing weakness, loss of sensation or burning pain, I recommend taking 100-300 mg of alpha lipoic acid a day.
Finally, be very optimistic. I’ve seen this regimen work again and again over the years. Once you allow the statin drugs to clear from your system, and build up the mitochondrial function in your cells with the awesome foursome, you will not only reverse the side effects of statins—you’ll thrive!
Read More About CoQ10
Coenzyme Q10: Benefits of CoQ10 & the Right CoQ10 Dosage
Learn why coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is one of Dr. Sinatra's top recommended heart vitamins, including the benefits of CoQ10, and the right CoQ10 dosage. Read more
Why the Benefits of CoQ10 Can Literally Save Your Life
Learn how Dr. Stephen Sinatra discovered the heart-healing benefits of CoQ10 and why this powerful nutrient is one of the best natural treatments for heart health. Read more
An Amazing Story About the Benefits of CoQ10
Dr. Sinatra shares a story about how the benefits of CoQ10 makes it one of the most powerful heart vitamins to dramatically improve cardiac health. Read more
Metabolic Cardiology—a Powerful Treatment for Congestive Heart Failure
Discover why metabolic cardiology is a powerful treatment for congestive heart failure and the top nutrients Dr. Sinatra recommends for restoring the heart. Read more