Top 10 Tips for Healthy Joints
These are my top 10 tips for keeping your joints healthy:
- Take 250–500 mg glucosamine sulfate (GS) three times a day with meals. GS promotes healthy joint cartilage and maintains joint fluid thickness and elasticity.
- For a one-two joint-promoting punch, eat plenty of essential fatty acids like fish (salmon and mackerel are best), raw nuts, seeds, and flaxseed. Put some ground-up flaxseed on your cereal or add it to your shakes or smoothies.
- Combine GS with 200–300 mg chondroitin sulfate, which promotes joint health and elasticity of tendons and ligaments; as well as natural anti-inflammatories like feverfew, white willow bark, bromelain, boswellia, and cat's claw.
- Methylsufonylmethane (MSM) is an organic sulfur compound that has been used traditionally to help your body build cartilage, collagen, and connective tissue—all of which are necessary to keep your joints strong and pliable. I began using MSM after a particularly bad bout with my shoulder and I really attribute much of the improvement I experienced to this remarkable nutrient*.
- Drink 1 or 2 cups daily of ginger or green tea, a natural inflammatory.
- Exercise regularly at least three times a week—to increase muscle strength, and restore range of motion and flexibility.
- Take a 4:1 ratio of omega-3 oils (fish and flaxseed) and omega-6 oils (evening primrose, borage oil, or black currant oil). In other words, if you consume 4,000 mg of fish oil, take 1,000 mg of one or a combination of omega-6 oils.
- Avoid sodas, caffeine, and chocolate.
- Take 100–250 mg daily of the herb curcumin, a natural pain reliever without the tendency to trigger gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Take 200–400 mg of SAMe 2–3 times daily for pain control.
*Results not typical
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
We've combined this anti-aging bombshell with doctor-recommended heart support!
Redefine your concept of aging—look and feel younger with each passing day!
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health