The Not So Sweet Truth About Sugar
You’ve all heard it: diet sodas are bad news. Now, as we’re heading into the hotter days of summer, I encourage you to add sports drinks and sweet teas to the “don’t drink it list”…
There are now several studies confirming what I’ve observed for decades—that too much sugar will age you faster, and put you at a greater risk for developing heart disease than cholesterol.
6 Ways to Protect Yourself:
1. Read Labels: Most of the sugar you eat is “hidden,” usually under the guise of high fructose corn syrup in processed foods. Do everything you can to avoid these sneaky sugar products.
2. Steer Clear of Doughnuts, Cookies and Pastries: These foods are filled with sugar and damaging hydrogenated oil and processed, fiber-less flour. Who needs this jackpot of junk?
3. Beware of Sodas: They are literally liquid candy. And while I’m on the subject, watch out for sweetened trendy teas, energy drinks, and sports drinks.
4. Use Natural Sweeteners: If you need to sweeten any foods, add a little juice from oranges, grapes, pears, peaches, or other fruits. You can also use some shredded raw or dried apples, coconuts, raisins, or dates.
5. Eat Several Small Meals: Start with breakfast, and include some protein at each sitting to keep you feeling satisfied. By eating little portions throughout the day, you will be less inclined to overload on party food.
6. Limit Alcohol Intake: This includes wine, beer, and liquor. Many people don’t realize that alcohol contains a large store of hidden sugar.
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health
Refuel your cellular engines for efficient heart function
Strength, energy, endurance--get the targeted nutrient support a man needs most
Stay youthful, healthy, vibrant and balanced with nutrient support designed to meet a woman's needs