I thought I knew all there was to know about the perks of various varieties of fruit, but then I discovered a refreshing summertime drink with a fruit I had underestimated: Watermelon. That's right! Watermelon is rich in all the right stuff, including:
- Carotenoids lycopene and beta carotene that neutralize free radicals to prevent heart disease, cancer, and other diseases. Research shows that lycopene decreases the risk for cancer of the breast, prostate, endometrium, lung and colon; and other diseases.
- Vitamins A and C which bolster your immune system. One specific health benefit of watermelon is that it provides 24.3% of the daily value for Vitamin C.
- Vitamin K that helps control blood pressure, regulate heart beat, and possibly prevent strokes.
- B vitamins: B1 and B6, important for energy production.
- Magnesium: Works to lower blood pressure, assuage arrhythmia, and more.
- Potassium: A cardinal mineral for the cardiovascular system.
Loaded with such powerful antioxidants, watermelon does everything right for your health. The health benefits of watermelon include quenching inflammation, an underlying culprit in heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer, arthritis, and asthma.
How to make Watermelon Delight: Fill up a blender with chunks of chilled watermelon. Add water (either filtered, bottle, or fresh spring) until the container is about 2/3 full. Add the juice of a fresh lemon. Blend to the thickness and consistency you prefer: For use as a sunny sorbet you can freeze for later, use less water. For a little variety—and extra antioxidants—toss in fresh strawberries, raspberries, and/or ripe fresh mango.
The only downside with watermelon is that it’s a high-glycemic food. So, if you have diabetes, balance your watermelon intake with a chaser of nuts for fat and protein to get the full health benefits of watermelon.
You May Also Be Interested In: