There’s no question that prostate cancer can be scary. Plus, the longer you live, the greater your chances of getting it. But while there’s a lot of information out there on prostate cancer screenings, few doctors are telling their patients what they can do to achieve natural prostate health.
One of the most important things men can do to keep their prostates healthy is to take prostate health vitamins. That’s because research has shown that deficiencies in important micronutrients can greatly increase your risk of prostate cancer. So, for natural prostate health the right prostate health vitamins are critical.
What Are the Top Prostate Health Vitamins?
- Pomegranate Juice or Supplement: Research has shown that this favorite drink of mine for its cardiovascular benefits has been shown to protect the prostate. Either, you want to drink four to eight ounces of pomegranate juice a day, or take a 200-300 mg pomegranate supplement.
- Zinc: This vital mineral is one of the essential prostate health vitamins because it supports chromosome integrity. Studies show that for zinc, 20 mg daily is about right.
- Vitamin D: Not getting enough vitamin D has been linked with numerous diseases, including prostate cancer. This is one of the top prostate health vitamins and you want to get 1,000-2,000 IU a day.
- Vitamins B6, B12, and Folic Acid: All three B-vitamins help to minimize chromosomal breakage, reducing the risk of prostate cancer. For natural prostate health, you want to take 20 mg of B6, 100-200 mcg of B12, and 400-800 mcg of folic acid daily.
- Vitamin C works hand-in-hand with the B-vitamins. Together, these prostate health vitamins work to protect your chromosomes. Take at least 400 mg daily.
- Lycopene: Deficiencies of this critical nutrient has shown to increase prostate cancer risk. You want to take 2 to 10 mg daily of this prostate health vitamin.
- Vitamin E and Selenium: These nutrients work hand-in-hand to ensure natural prostate health and to protect against prostate cancer. You want to take 300 IU of vitamin E with mixed tocopherols and 250 mcg of selenium daily.
Now it's your turn: Do you take any of these prostate health vitamins for natural prostate health?