Tapering Off High Blood Pressure Medications
I want to try to get off of my high blood pressure medications because my blood pressure has been stable at 120/80 for the last nine months. How do I go about tapering the dosage?
Anyone considering tapering off of a prescription high blood pressure medication must do so under the supervision of a doctor. So it is imperative that you work with your doctor as you move forward. You can discuss with your doctor the following strategies I've found helpful in the past:
- I get my patients down to a low dose of the high blood pressure medication.
- I make sure my patients are exercising, keeping their weight down, maintaining lifestyle changes to lower blood pressure, are faithful to a sensible nutritional supplement regime, and can track their blood pressures daily at home for me.
- I give them a blood pressure log to keep, with parameters on when they need to call me.
- I schedule office visits every two weeks to track their progress carefully while they taper.
- I halve the dose of medication for two weeks, then check them in the office.
- I halve the dose again for the second two weeks if the blood pressure is stable, then I check them again, and so on.
- Should the blood pressure creep up, we may have to go back to the Rx dose that works and hold it there for a while longer.
Some folks may need low dose medication even when they do everything right. Most are successful if they adhere to the plan long term.
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health
Refuel your cellular engines for efficient heart function
Strength, energy, endurance--get the targeted nutrient support a man needs most
Stay youthful, healthy, vibrant and balanced with nutrient support designed to meet a woman's needs