A Heart-Healthy Salad Recipe
- 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (free-range, organic chicken is best)
- 1 cup frozen, loose-pack French-cut green beans
- 1½ cups short grain brown rice and wild rice blend, cooked according to product directions and chilled
- 1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 green onions, sliced
Prepare the Thyme Vinaigrette (see below). Brush chicken with 2 Tbsp. of the vinaigrette; set aside remaining vinaigrette until salad is ready to serve. Grill or broil chicken until tender and no longer pink, turning once halfway through cooking—approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Cut chicken into thin strips. While chicken is cooking, rinse green beans with cool water for 1-2 minutes until thawed; drain well. In a large bowl toss together green beans, cooked rice, artichoke hearts, cabbage, carrot, celery and green onion. Pour remaining vinaigrette over rice mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve rice mixture topped with chicken.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 303, Fat 4 g, Sodium 807 mg, Carbs 42.5 g, Fiber 9 g, Protein 25 g
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. Celtic sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well.
Serving size: 2 Tbsp.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 287, Fat 30 g, Sodium 504.5 mg, Carbs 3 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 3 g