A Heart-Healthy Salad Recipe
- 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (free-range, organic chicken is best)
- 1 cup frozen, loose-pack French-cut green beans
- 2 cups cooked brown rice and wild rice blend, chilled
- 1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 green onions, sliced
Prepare the Thyme Vinaigrette (see below). Brush chicken with 2 Tbsp. of the vinaigrette; set aside remaining vinaigrette until salad is ready to serve. Grill or broil chicken until tender and no longer pink, turning once halfway through cooking—approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Cut chicken into thin strips. While chicken is cooking, rinse green beans with cool water for 1-2 minutes until thawed; drain well. In a large bowl toss together green beans, cooked rice, artichoke hearts, cabbage, carrot, celery and green onion. Pour remaining vinaigrette over rice mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve rice mixture topped with chicken.
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 499, Fat 9 g, Sodium 198 mg, Carbs 88 g, Fiber 10 g, Protein 36 g