A Heart-Healthy Vegetable Recipe
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans, ends removed and snapped into 2-inch lengths
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or no-salt chopped drained canned whole tomatoes
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
In a large saucepan, cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until the onion is thoroughly golden and starting to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse the beans and add them to the onions. Stir to mix everything together well, cover, and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Uncover the pan and add the tomatoes and pepper. Cover again and cook for about 40 minutes, or until the beans are thoroughly softened and the tomatoes have dissolved into a sauce. Stir in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more pepper if necessary.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 100, Fat 7 g, Sodium 9 mg, Carbs 7 g, Protein 2 g