Besides adding flavor, many of the seasonings in your kitchen cabinet are loaded with enzymes, flavonoids, and other natural substances that can do wonders for your overall health. Here is a list of my top ten healthy seasonings, most of which you'll probably find in your kitchen cabinet right now.
10 Seasonings that Boost Your Heart Health
1. Garlic — This is number one on my hit parade. Garlic's benefits are numerous. It's antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral. It lowers homocysteine, cholesterol, and blood pressure. It's a great source of sulfur, an important antioxidant.
2. Rosemary — Rosemary contains carnosol, an antioxidant important for the prevention of skin cancer.
3. Oregano — A natural COX-2 inhibitor and anti-inflammatory, similar to a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) but without the potential side effect of stomach and gastrointestinal bleeding.
4. Onions — The beautiful, flavorful onion contains the flavonoid quercetin, remarkable in its prevention of LDL oxidation. There is benefit to both cooked and raw onions, but the live enzymes in raw onions make the vegetable more potent.
5. Turmeric — This bright yellow Indian spice thins your blood with aspirin-like effectiveness.
6. Black Pepper — Black pepper contains bioperine, which enhances your body's ability to absorb many vitamins and minerals.
7. Cilantro — This Chinese parsley has terrific binding properties, so it is used to chelate mercury. It's a great heavy metal detoxifier. A close relative to American parsley, its chlorophyll is vital to the human metabolic process.
8. Parsley — American parsley contains luteolin and apigenin, two powerful flavonoids, and chlorophyll for anti-inflammation.
9. Ginger — Ginger is also known as the "poor man's aspirin." It thins blood. It's anti-inflammatory. Ginger tea was used in the coronary care units of Manchester Memorial Hospital several years ago to help alleviate stomach upset and nausea from a heart attack. It also has terrific calming capabilities and is the treatment of choice for sea sickness as well.
10. Cinnamon — It helps regulate blood sugar levels.
Now it’s your turn: Which of these heart-healthy seasonings are your favorites?