A Heart-Healthy Entrée Recipe
- Two 4-ounce chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grated or julienned carrot
- 1 cup spinach, thawed or fresh
- 1 tsp. dried basil or fresh leaves, chopped, to taste
- 4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Slice the chicken breasts halfway through the center lengthwise, forming a pocket. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the carrots and heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and basil. Cook about 3 minutes, or until wilted. Remove from heat. Add the cheese and stir to combine. Stuff the mixture into the chicken pockets. Soak toothpicks in water or oil and use them to secure the chicken pockets. Lightly brush the top of the chicken with oil and sprinkle liberally with pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken juices run clear. Remove toothpicks and serve.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 360, Fat 21 g, Sodium 268 mg, Carbs 4 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 40 g