Nutrients that Protect Your Prostate
There’s no question that prostate cancer can be scary. Plus, the longer you live, the greater your chances of getting it. But while there’s a lot of information out there on prostate cancer screenings, few doctors are telling their patients what they can do to prevent prostate cancer from developing in the first place.
One of the most important things men can do to keep their prostates healthy is to take the right nutritional supplements. That’s because research has shown that deficiencies in important micronutrients can greatly increase your risk of prostate cancer. Since June is National Men’s Health Month, I wanted to tell you what those nutrients are.
1. Pomegranate Juice or Supplement: Research has shown that this favorite drink of mine for its cardiovascular benefits has been shown to protect the prostate. Either, you want to drink four to eight ounces of pomegranate juice a day, or take a 200-300 mg pomegranate supplement.
2. Zinc: This vital mineral is essential for prostate health, by supporting chromosome integrity. Studies show that for zinc, 20 mg daily is about right.
3. Vitamin D: Not getting enough vitamin D has been linked with numerous diseases, including prostate cancer. You want to get 1,000-2,000 IU a day.
4. Vitamins B6, B12, and Folic Acid: All three B-vitamins help to minimize chromosomal breakage, reducing the risk of prostate cancer. You want to take 20 mg of B6, 100-200 mcg of B12, and 400-800 mcg of folic acid daily.
5. Vitamin C works hand-in-hand with the B-vitamins, protecting your chromosomes. Take at least 400 mg daily.
6. Lycopene: Deficiencies of this critical nutrient has shown to increase prostate cancer risk. You want to take 2 to 10 mg daily.
7. Vitamin E and Selenium: These nutrients work hand-in-hand to protect against prostate cancer. You want to take 300 IU of vitamin E with mixed tocopherols and 250 mcg of selenium daily.
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
We've combined this anti-aging bombshell with doctor-recommended heart support!
Redefine your concept of aging—look and feel younger with each passing day!
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health