A Heart-Healthy Soup Recipe
- 3 quarts water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 10-15 mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 4 tsp. miso (found in any specialty foods store or Asian supermarket)
- ½ cup cooked brown rice or barley
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bay leaf (optional)
- Fresh parsley, watercress, or scallions, chopped (optional)
Bring water to boil and add chopped onions, carrots, and garlic; cover and simmer until tender. Meanwhile, saute mushrooms gently in sesame oil and add them to water. Add miso and simmer for five to ten minutes; do not boil. Add pepper, salt, bay leaf, and dash of sesame or olive oil if desired. Add rice or barley. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, scallions, or watercress.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 80, Fat 3 g, Sodium 160 mg, Carbs 12 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 3 g