A Heart-Healthy Vegetable Recipe
- 1 to 1 ½ lbs. asparagus, preferably white, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. freshley squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven broiler. Rinse the asparagus and trim off any tough ends. Cut the stalks so that they are roughly equal in length. Place the asparagus on a plate and add the olive oil. Roll the asparagus around to coat it well with the oil. Drizzle with half of the juice mixture, stirring with a fork to mix well, and then sprinkle with pepper. Lay the spears on the broiler pan and broil carefully, about 6 to 8 inches from the heat. The asparagus should cook through and be lightly and pleasantly browned on the outside in about 10 minutes.
Place the asparagus on a clean plate and drizzle the remaining juice mixture over, rolling gently to mix well. Serve immediately or set aside at room temperature, stirring occasionally, to absorb the flavors.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 85 g, Fat 7 g, Sodium 2 mg, Carbs 4 g, Fiber 2g, Protein 2 g