The snack industry in America is a multi-billion dollar business. You can’t walk into a movie theatre, shopping mall, or ballgame without seeing dozens upon dozens of snacks that are loaded with too much fat, calories, and sodium. We’re literally snacking our way to obesity, poor heart health, and diabetes.
But here are five delicious, heart-healthy snacks you can enjoy:
1. Vegetable Skewers: Skewer together sliced peppers, cucumbers, tomato chunks, any of your other favorite vegetables. Then, drizzle with olive oil and Italian seasonings and enjoy. Or, for a slightly different variation dip sliced vegetables in hummus.
2. Trail Mix: Choose any combination of almonds, dry-roasted soybeans, dates, dried cranberries, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, raisins, sunflower seeds, and walnuts. Just make sure to choose organic nuts and seeds if they’re available, and that it contains no more than 300 mg of sodium per serving.
3. Yogurt Sundae: Mix sliced strawberries and blueberries into plain yogurt. Top with a sprinkling of sunflower seeds or ground flax.
4. Apple Dippers: Slice an apple into quarters, and top each slice with organic peanut or almond butter. The nutty butter mixed with the sweetness of the apple satisfies your hunger and your taste buds.
5. Dark Chocolate: If you want to satisfy a sweet tooth, you can enjoy a square (or two) of dark chocolate a few times a week.
Now it’s your turn: What’s your favorite heart-healthy snack?
You May Also Be Interested In: