Pill Swallowing SOS: 5 Tricks that Make It Easy
I have some readers and patients who don’t choose their nutritional supplements based on what’s best for their health, but rather on which pills are easiest to swallow.
If you have difficulties swallowing pills, you know exactly what I mean. As you get older, pill swallowing can get tough, but fortunately there’s a simple way to solve the problem.
In fact, here are 5 tips that make swallowing any pill—easy:
1. Lubricate your mouth and throat with a few sips of water before taking your vitamins.
2. Tip your head forward with your chin down when swallowing pills. The pill will float to the back of your mouth, as your throat opens—making swallowing a cinch.
3. Use a water bottle. Keep your lips pursed and attached to the bottle using a sucking action to drink. Your throat will automatically open, followed by the natural urge to swallow.
4. Take one pill at a time. It is easier on both your throat and esophagus.
5. Swallow using cold water or juice. Hot beverages can cause some pills to disintegrate or become sticky.
If you’re still having trouble, you can blend your vitamins into a smoothie. Just be sure you open any capsules and dump in the contents separately. You can also break open your capsules, or crush tablets, mixing the contents into a cold food such as yogurt or apple sauce.
Now it’s your turn: How do you swallow pills?
You May Also Be Interested In:
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health
Refuel your cellular engines for efficient heart function
Strength, energy, endurance--get the targeted nutrient support a man needs most
Stay youthful, healthy, vibrant and balanced with nutrient support designed to meet a woman's needs