Top 10 Nutrients for Brain Health
These 10 nutrients are my top recommendations for keeping your brain healthy and memory sharp:
- Alpha lipoic acid (50-150 mg daily) and N-acetylcysteine (100-300 mg daily) — help protect against free radicals elsewhere in your body, before they can even get to your brain.
- Ginkgo biloba (120 mg daily) — offers antioxidant support and boosts and maintains blood circulation, a major factor in preserving brain function and boosting memory power.
- Vitamin B-complex (800 mcg folic acid, 20 mg of B6, 20 mcg of B12) — support nerve function and promote healthy levels of homocysteine.
- Acetyl-L-carnitine (250 mg daily) — crosses the "blood-brain barrier" and works directly on the nerve cells in your body.
- Blueberry powder (25 mg daily) and vitamin C (10 mg daily) — help to fight free radical oxidation throughout the body, including the brain.
- Ashwagandha (100 mg daily) — helps to increase your body's resistance to stress and has a balancing effect on your body's functions. I also believe it may help to reduce your body's level of stress hormones that can impede memory.
- Phosphatidylserine (200 mg) — keeps your cell membranes fluid, flexible and ready for nutrient absorption, and helps with the conduction of nerve impulses, keeping memory-related pathways healthy and intact.
- DMAE (20 mg daily) — converts into acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter vital for short-term memory and learning capacity. It's especially helpful because it's able to cross the blood-brain barrier and is quickly utilized to boost brain function.
- CDP-choline (50 mg daily) — helps to promote acetylcholine and has the added benefit of serving as an important building block of phosphatidylcholine.
- Phosphatidylcholine (75 mg daily) — aids nerve impulses, and assists in the transfer of information in your brain.
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health
Refuel your cellular engines for efficient heart function
Strength, energy, endurance--get the targeted nutrient support a man needs most
Stay youthful, healthy, vibrant and balanced with nutrient support designed to meet a woman's needs