These seven steps can keep your brain healthy and your memory sharp:
- DO eat according to the Pan Asian Mediterranean (PAM) diet. It's loaded with antioxidant-rich fruits and healthy fats that promote brain health.
- DON'T eat trans fatty acids which contribute to heart disease and Alzheimer's.
- DON'T drink excessive alcohol, which causes premature aging of the brain.
- DO place a filter on your kitchen tap that removes heavy metals and chlorine from your drinking water.
- DO avoid products that contain aluminum, such as deodorants, antacids, and baking powder (aluminum can cause early aging!). Do not drink out of aluminum cans.
- DO make sure you exercise your mind with crossword puzzles, reading, and other activities that will increase your mental sharpness.
- DO keep homocysteine levels under 9.