A Heart-Healthy Entrée Recipe
- 2 tsp. organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small zucchini or summer squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red or yellow pepper
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup chopped tomato
In a medium skillet, heat oil until hot. Add zucchini, or squash, onion, pepper and garlic and sauté until vegetables are tender. Set aside. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, and basil. Stir in sautéed vegetables. Next, divide mixture into 4 individual quiche dishes or 4 shallow casserole dishes (4 to 4 ½ inches in diameter). Bake in 350-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until center is set. Sprinkle each serving with mozzarella cheese and let stand 5 minutes before serving to cool slightly. Top with chopped tomato and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 193, Fat 11 g, Sodium 213 mg, Carbs 9 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 13 g