As many of you know, I've long advocated eating a modified Mediterranean diet to keep your heart healthy. But did you know that a Mediterannean-style diet can also improve your prostate health?
A Mediterranean-style diet promotes prostate health because it contains:
- Fiber, garlic, onions, and fresh fruits and vegetables, all of which are loaded with precious antioxidants and other phytonutrients that fight harmful free radicals throughout your body, including your prostate.
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids (fish, shellfish, soy products, and nuts) which help to reduce inflammation and increase nitric oxide (NO) production which improves vascular and erectile function.
- Healthy fats, including olive oil which is as a major source of monounsaturated fat.
- Fewer chemical and hormone-laden meats.
To Protect Your Prostate, You Should Also Eat…
- Tomato products (including sauce) contain lycopene which is important for prostate health. In fact, literature indicates that 10 servings of tomato-based products a week, including tomato sauce, can promote prostate health.
- Oranges, grapefruit, and other fresh, organic fruits and vegetables. Modified citrus pectin, a substance that comes from citrus products, promotes prostate health and healthy PSA levels. However, avoid grapefruit if you are taking pharmaceutical drugs like calcium channel blockers, antibiotics, or antihistamines.
- Seeds, sunflower seeds, soybeans, cashews, almonds, kidney beans, broad beans, and pecans.
Other Supplements and Herbs for Prostate Health
- Vitamin E: Promotes prostate health by preventing prostate cancer from moving to the progressive stages. Take 400-800 units daily.
- Selenium: A major player in promoting prostate health. Take 50 mcg in supplemental form.
- Saw palmetto: A premier extract for male health. Contains fatty acids, esters, and sterols that promote and maintain prostate health. Take 160-320 milligrams daily.
- Quercetin and fish oil: 1-2 grams of quercetin and 1-2 grams of fish oil daily can help maintain prostate health.
- Zinc: Take 15 mg daily to support the prostate gland.