A Heart-Healthy Pasta Recipe
This makes a nice side dish on its own, or with the addition of a protein source (fish, seafood, or chicken) it can be a flavorful main dish.
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup fresh oregano leaves
- 3 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ½ Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Place all ingredients except olive oil into a food processor and process until smooth. While processor is on, add olive oil and blend until well mixed. Serve pesto tossed with hot, cooked pasta. I prefer Jerusalem artichoke or spelt; regular refined pasta is too high on the glycemic index.
Makes 6 servings.