A Heart-Healthy Desserts & Snacks Recipe
It may take some sleuthing at your local natural foods store to find all the ingredients for this trail mix, but it's well worth the effort. Make sure to choose organic nuts and seeds whenever they're available and make sure dried fruit is not sweetened.
- 1/4 cup unsalted almonds
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted soybeans
- 1/4 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1/4 cups dried apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
Mix ingredients together in roughly equal proportions and store in an airtight container. Use within a month, because the oils in nuts can go rancid. One serving equals 2 ounces, or 1/4 cup.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 142, Total Fat 7 g, Sodium 38 mg, Carbs 16 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 4 g