A Heart-Healthy Soup Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked red or green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced (white part only)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 sweet potato or yam, diced
- 1 low-sodium vegetable broth seasoning cube
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Bring lentils to a boil and simmer until tender. Generally red lentils take twice the time that green do, so allow 45 minutes for red and about 20 minutes for green lentils.
In a skillet or wok, sauté chopped onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add sweet potato or yam and sauté for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water, bouillon cube, and remaining vegetables. Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
When vegetables are just tender, mix in lentils. Toss with chopped parsley and vinegar.
Makes 3-4 servings.