A Heart-Healthy Holiday Recipe
This salad is easy to prepare, packed with inflammation- and age-fighting antioxidants, and makes a refreshing addition to any traditional holiday meal.
- ½ head green cabbage (about 2 cups), shredded
- ½ head red cabbage (about 2 cups), shredded
- 6 scallions, sliced or 1 small red onion, diced (or use a combination of both)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. Celtic or Kosher sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. mustard powder
Mix together cabbage, onions, and cranberries in large mixing bowl. Whisk olive oil, vinegar, and seasonings together in a small bowl. Pour over cabbage mixture; mix thoroughly. Marinate in a glass container in refrigerator for 1 hour. This slaw keeps for 4 or 5 days and is best stored in glass.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 84, Total Fat 3 g, Sodium 96 mg, Carbs 15 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein .5 g