A Heart-Healthy Breakfast Recipe
- 8 eggs
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 red or yellow pepper, roasted and cut into strips
- 1/3 cup button, crimini, or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350° F. In large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in spinach, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, cheese, basil, pepper, and salt. Spray the bottom and sides of a large, oven-safe, nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add egg mixture and place skillet in oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Top with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, diced tomatoes, olives, or all three, if desired, and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts (per serving): Calories 158, Total fat 10 g, Sodium 396 mg, Carbs 6 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 11 g