Five Supplements that Fight Cancer
One hundred years ago, cancer was low on the list of dreaded diseases. Today, the pendulum has swung far and wide and it’s said that one in three people will get cancer.
Listed below are five of the most effective supplements for fighting cancer. Most of them are available in your neighborhood health food store.
- Fish oil. In laboratory studies, fish oil has been shown to slow the rate at which cancer spreads. In one study with terminally ill patients, 6 grams of fish oil daily resulted in a major improvement in immune function and length of survival. I always recommend 1 to 2 grams a day for good health, and 2 to 4 grams a day for heart patients. Shark and fish liver oil also contain vitamins A and D, anticancer nutrients on their own. This is definitely powerful medicine.
- Probiotics. These supplements reinforce the gut’s critical bacterial flora. The so-called “good bacteria” are major elements in the immune system. They neutralize pro-carcinogenic substances, fight off pathogens, and protect the vital digestive process that converts food into the nutrients required to run the body. Studies show that probiotics can lessen the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation.
- Curcumin. This active compound in the Indian curry spice turmeric has antitumor, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. It can slow tumor growth, according to laboratory research. My advice is to eat abundant amounts of curry or supplement with about 500 mg of curcumin.
- Mushroom extracts. There are a number of extracts with significant antitumor properties and the ability to enhance appetite, reduce the amount of cancer drugs needed, and reduce the toxicity of chemotherapy. Among them are maitake, shitake, reishi, and a blend of extracts in supplement form called AHCC (active hexose correlated compounds).
- Ellagic acid. This compound, found in dark-colored berries, promotes apoptosis, the pre-programmed death of abnormal cells that can lead to cancer. I recommend 250 mg of ellagic acid daily.
According to a national poll, cancer is one of Americans' chief concerns and fears. Thankfully, these supplements can help.
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health
Refuel your cellular engines for efficient heart function
Strength, energy, endurance--get the targeted nutrient support a man needs most
Stay youthful, healthy, vibrant and balanced with nutrient support designed to meet a woman's needs