Five Key Nutrients for Improved Immune Health
The following five nutritional supplements are the key nutrients I recommend to build a strong immune system:
- Beta Glucan: This complex sugar (polysaccharide) is derived from the cell wall of baker's yeast, oats, and barley, as well as some medicinal mushrooms. As a supplement, it primes neutrophils, white blood cells in your immune system that engulf alien microorganisms. So, beta glucan does a superior job of bolstering immunity. And recently, a patented process has developed a 75 percent pure, advanced form called WGP beta glucan. WGP beta glucan is known as a modulator—meaning it gives you steady, everyday protection, rather than other supplements that you only take when you are trying to fight something off. For prevention, take 250 mg of beta glucan daily on an empty stomach.
- Coriolus Mushrooms: I've long been impressed by the immune-supporting activity of medicinal mushrooms. In particular, coriolus mushrooms complement the WGP beta glucan as they stimulate additional white blood cells to help give you complete support for your entire immune system. Japanese oncologists have even been using coriolus to stimulate immune function in cancer patients who have undergone surgery or who are receiving chemotherapy or radiation treatments. More than 400 published studies support the use of coriolus for its immuno-modulating and anti-tumor properties. For immune support take 600 mg daily.
- L-glutamine: This amino acid fuels "energy-starved" macrophages (these are the "guard dog" white blood cells of your immune system), especially during times when they're needed most. Support your immune system with 1,500 mg of L-glutamine daily.
- Vitamin C: More than thirty years ago, Linus Pauling popularized the cold- and flu-protecting properties of vitamin C—and nothing has changed in terms of the value of this great substance. Without a doubt, this well-researched antioxidant that fortifies your immune system during times of stress should be a critical part of your immune-boosting program. Take 1,000 mg daily.
- Cat's Claw: Cat's claw comes from a giant vine that grows in a unique Peruvian rain forest microclimate. A highly processed, raw, fermented cat's claw preparation called TOA-free has been shown to strengthen both oveactive and underactive immune systems. Cat's claw contains agents that are able to block several inflammatory pathways. TOA-free cat's claw is sold under the brand names Saventaro and Samento. Follow the package directions.
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health
Refuel your cellular engines for efficient heart function
Strength, energy, endurance--get the targeted nutrient support a man needs most
Stay youthful, healthy, vibrant and balanced with nutrient support designed to meet a woman's needs