A Heart-Healthy Sides & Sauces Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cans Italian-style plum tomatoes or 2 lbs. fresh plum or cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. red or white wine
- ½ Tbsp. chopped basil
- ½ tsp. fresh oregano leaves, crushed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Pour the olive oil into a pan and sauté the garlic and onions for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If you're using canned tomatoes, crush or chop them in a blender. For fresh tomatoes, chop them into small cubes. Add the wine and heat for 30 to 40 minutes. Then slowly simmer for 1 to 2 hours while stirring occasionally. Add the basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. The sauce will keep for up to 1 week, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts( per serving): Calories 100, Total Fat 5 g, Sodium 15 mg, Carbs 12 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 2 g