A Heart-Healthy Vegetable Recipe
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup assorted mushrooms, chopped (preferably shiitake and crimini mushrooms)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh oregano
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh basil
- 2 cups nonfat, organic ricotta cheese
- 2 ½ cups steamed, chopped broccoli (you can also mix in some cauliflower)
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 18 jumbo pasta shells, cooked al dente (preferably spelt, whole-wheat, or Jerusalem artichoke pasta)
- 2 cups tomato sauce, your choice, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350° F. Pour vegetable broth into a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Cook, stirring for 5-7 minutes until ingredients are lightly browned. Remove mixture from heat and pour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in oregano, basil, ricotta, broccoli, and egg whites. Stuff drained shells with broccoli-ricotta mixture. Spread ½ cup of the tomato sauce on bottom of 9" x 13" nonstick baking pan. Arrange shells on the sauce and top with remaining sauce. Bake for 30 minutes or until shells are heated through. Finish with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 270, Fat 2 g, Sodium 820 mg, Carbs 44 g, Fiber 10 g, Protein 26 g