Keeping on the theme of National School Breakfast Week and healthy heart nutrition for kids, here’s a great recipe for those of you with kids in your life, but not necessarily in your home. They can make these with you, then take them home and to school.
Apple-Cinnamon Bran Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)
In this delicious variation on the usual bran muffin, you still get all the fiber and a hint of sweetness, without a lot of fat and sugar.
- 2 cups bran flakes cereal
- 1 cup organic skim, lowfat, or whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 apples, grated and coated with 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray twelve 2½ -inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix bran cereal and milk in a medium bowl and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix oil, egg, honey, molasses, vanilla extract, and cereal mixture. Add flour and baking powder.
- Fold in apple-cinnamon mixture.
- Divide batter into 12 muffin cups. Bake 25 minutes.
- Eat fresh out of the oven, or freeze individual muffins in freezer bags for the kids to take to school.
For more information on cardiovascular nutrition for kids, visit www.drsinatra.com.