When most people get a headache, they pop a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) like Advil, Motrin, or Aleve. For occasional relief, I have no problem with this. But as I've long warned, chronic use of these over-the-counter medications can cause liver and/or kidney damage.
Plus, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently issued a new, stronger warning that non-aspirin NSAIDS can increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Their action was based on a review of several observational studies and clinical trials. The FDA is now requiring labels on NSAIDS to warn users that "the risk of heart attack or stroke can occur as early as the first weeks of using an NSAID. Plus, the risk appears greater at higher doses." The FDA also cautioned consumers that while a heart attack or stroke can occur in patients with or without heart disease or other risk factors, NSAID use within the first year after a heart attack is most risky. As I've long said, one of the problems with NSAIDS is that with daily use they can raise your blood pressure which can be especially risky for women.
Fortunately, There Are Several Ways to Get Natural Headache Relief
1. Magnesium: Take 400–800 mg per day of this unsung element and begin taking it as soon as you suspect a headache is coming on. It works by stabilizing the vascular reactivity that causes the intense throbbing in your head, giving you natural headache relief.
2. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10): Taking 100 to 200 mg of CoQ10 daily can help to ward off migraine headaches. In fact the most powerful defense against migraine headaches is a combination of magnesium and CoQ10.
3. Feverfew: This natural headache remedy has a long history of use for migraines, but be sure to go with a brand-name, high-quality product because there is a wide variation in the amount of its active ingredient in products tested. Be sure to select products standardized for parthenolide. The recommended dosage for migraine headache is 250 to 500 mg daily. Check your local health food store.
4. Multivitamin: To ward off migraines, you want to take a multivitamin that includes the antioxidant vitamins C and E as well as B2. In one study of migraine patients, 400 mg of B2 given daily for three months resulted in fewer headaches and decreased pain in more than 68 percent of participants.
5. Deep breathing, acupressure, meditation, or visualization is a powerful way to get natural headache relief. Slow down your life a bit and reflect. Many headaches are brought on by chronic worry, anxiety, frustration, and anger.
6. Consider acupuncture as a natural headache relief, particularly for chronic headaches.
7. For prevention of headaches, avoid animal products except for cold-water fish such as wild salmon and sardines; increase your intake of vegetables, legumes, fruits, nuts, and seeds; and eliminate caffeine, colas, and alcohol. Plus, some people suffer from headaches in response to EMF radiation from cellular and cordless phones and towers, so if you’re sensitive you want to avoid exposure.