5 Heart-Healthy Veggie Side-Dishes for Your July 4th Celebration
On holidays like the Fourth of July, it’s easy to focus on the meats you’ll be putting on the grill. But you want to balance that out with a healthy serving of vegetables—and at this time of year, it’s easy to find delicious fresh veggies. Not only do vegetables provide valuable antioxidants, they’re low in calories and a good way to keep your holiday meal balanced.
Here are 5 easy, quick side dishes that take advantage of the season’s bounty:
1. Slice cauliflower or turnips into ¼” pieces. Place in a single layer in lined pan, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic or Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Sprinkle lightly with parmesan cheese before serving.
2. Pan-fry bite-sized pieces of broccoli, onions, and sliced mushrooms in olive oil, spray with butter, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving. Or, season with soy sauce and sesame seeds for an Oriental flavor. Or, for a third flavor combination, season with sesame-ginger sauce.
3. Boil butternut squash until tender, add dried cranberries, a drizzle of maple syrup, and a hefty sprinkle of cinnamon.
4. Boiled Yukon gold potatoes, add frozen peas part way through cooking. Add sliced black olives and add a small amount of butter or olive oil before serving.
5. Steam kale about 10 minutes, drain. Add a tad of butter and parmesan or feta cheese before serving.
Now it’s your turn: Do you have an easy, healthy veggie side dish suggestion?
You May Also Be Interested In:
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health
Refuel your cellular engines for efficient heart function
Strength, energy, endurance--get the targeted nutrient support a man needs most
Stay youthful, healthy, vibrant and balanced with nutrient support designed to meet a woman's needs