On holidays like the Fourth of July, it’s easy to focus on the meats you’ll be putting on the grill. But you want to balance that out with a healthy serving of vegetables—and at this time of year, it’s easy to find delicious fresh veggies. Not only do vegetables provide valuable antioxidants, they’re low in calories and a good way to keep your holiday meal balanced.
Here are 5 easy, quick side dishes that take advantage of the season’s bounty:
1. Slice cauliflower or turnips into ¼” pieces. Place in a single layer in lined pan, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic or Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Sprinkle lightly with parmesan cheese before serving.
2. Pan-fry bite-sized pieces of broccoli, onions, and sliced mushrooms in olive oil, spray with butter, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving. Or, season with soy sauce and sesame seeds for an Oriental flavor. Or, for a third flavor combination, season with sesame-ginger sauce.
3. Boil butternut squash until tender, add dried cranberries, a drizzle of maple syrup, and a hefty sprinkle of cinnamon.
4. Boiled Yukon gold potatoes, add frozen peas part way through cooking. Add sliced black olives and add a small amount of butter or olive oil before serving.
5. Steam kale about 10 minutes, drain. Add a tad of butter and parmesan or feta cheese before serving.
Now it’s your turn: Do you have an easy, healthy veggie side dish suggestion?
You May Also Be Interested In: