10 Heart-Healthy Foods To Put on Your Grocery List
For years, I’ve believed that Mediterranean and Asian diets are the healthiest on the planet. Here are ten heart-healthy foods that should be on everyone’s grocery list.
1. Avocado—Contains lots of vitamin E, glutathione, and healthy monounsaturated fat.
2. Pomegranates/pomegranate juice—Has powerful antioxidants shown to assist in plaque regression.
3. Blueberries—Contain flavonoids that improve the macula and retina of the eye, and also help brain function.
4. Asparagus—Loaded with folic acid, vitamin C, and glutathione.
5. Broccoli—Full of sulfur compounds that assist in detoxifying the body, including anticancer compounds like sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol.
6. Onions—Contain many compounds, such as flavonoids and quercetin, that enhance the immune system and improve prostate health.
7. Spinach—Rich in calcium, as well as lutein, which helps prevent macular degeneration and is instrumental in both lung and heart health. Popeye was right on!
8. Free-range buffalo—An outstanding source of protein with minimal saturated fat. Grass-fed buffalo also contains omega-3 fatty acids.
9. Wild Alaskan salmon—Rich in omega-3s and the vital carotenoid astaxanthin that helps prevent damaging oxidation in the body. It is 17 times more powerful than pycnogenol and 50 times more powerful than vitamin E.
10. Almonds—Contain monounsaturated fat plus precious gamma tocopherol, a vital nutrient that neutralizes peroxynitrite, a dangerous free radical that destroys cellular endothelial membranes.
Now it’s your turn: What’s your favorite heart-healthy food?
You May Also Be Interested In:
Enjoy What You've Just Read?
Get it delivered to your inbox! Signup for E-News and you'll get great content like you've just read along with other great tips and guides for Dr. Sinatra!
Meet Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy. More About Dr. Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra's Favorites
Doctor-recommended support for healthy cholesterol ratios, blood pressure & overall heart health
Refuel your cellular engines for efficient heart function
Strength, energy, endurance--get the targeted nutrient support a man needs most
Stay youthful, healthy, vibrant and balanced with nutrient support designed to meet a woman's needs